The Truth About E-Waste
- E-waste represents two percent of America’s trash in landfills but equals 70 percent of overall toxic waste.
- Annually, 20 to 50 million metric tons of e-waste are disposed of worldwide.
- The United States produces more e-waste than any other country, producing nearly 9 million tons each year.
- 80 percent of e-waste is not documented.
- Only 12.5 percent of e-waste is recycled.
- For every one million cell phones that are recycled, 35,274 pounds of copper, 772 pounds of silver, 75 pounds of gold, and 33 pounds of palladium can be recovered.
- Only 29 percent of e-waste is handled by best practice recycling channels.
- Over 152 million cell phones are thrown away each year.